JOOTRH has a directorate of research and training department in which the training arm is run by a training committee, a team of officers from different sections of the hospital mandated with training aspects of the hospital
Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital (JOOTRH) –Kisumu envisions having well-trained and developed practitioners who will provide quality services and also be globally competitive. The healthcare sector is labor-intensive and dependent on its workforce for the application of knowledge and technical skills in the provision of healthcare services.
JOOTRH is gaining confidence among learning institutions far and wide in its training mandate continually producing competent officers.
Partnership with various Institutions of higher learning has made students enter a dynamic world of team-based medical practice that has a health care education continuum as well as the given opportunity for joint conduct of research and training. JOOTRH capitalizes on these partnerships in the development of joint innovations in health care and other pertinent sectors as well as future development programs. Through the various partnerships, we are convinced that the necessity of cooperation and in the support, and maintenance of the services, facilities, and resources, will benefit patients and the process of teaching and research.
Students on attachment and internship are better positioned to learn from the long-term experience of JOOTRH as a referral center. Attachment intake is quarterly and very competitive for the various medical and medical-related courses.
Do you love to question and have an appetite for knowledge? Are you looking for exceptional training in an environment that values individuals for who they are? JOOTRH might be the right place for you. We can’t wait to welcome you to find out the scope for yourself.
JOOTRH attachment and placement slots are very competitive because it offers one of the best experiences in Kenya and has been doing so for a very long time. We believe in world-class education that will expand your choices and enrich your experiences, allowing you to fulfill your potential and make the most of life’s opportunities. JOOTRH offers a wide range of training opportunities at different levels of the student’s career.
Student rules and regulation guidelines govern their conduct. Adherence to these rules makes their stay comfortable and also instills a good working culture among students and the hospital staff.
September 2022 Intake
Don’t miss the September intake deadlines. Make sure you clear each application and admission process.
Attachment programs are designed to offer opportunities to eligible students from various institutions of higher learning.
Interested students who meet the admission requirements can apply to be considered once the applications are opened.
HOW TO APPLY-Go to application documents
Thank you for your interest in training with us
Thank you for your interest in the Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching & Referral Hospital. We are glad that you are looking closely at the exciting opportunities available in this institution.
All applications are submitted ONLINE and should be done using the research registration forms. The prospective candidates apply for admission into courses for each attachment opening.
- Prospective candidates are advised to visit the website and read the advertisement for more information on the various courses offered and their specific entry requirements.
- Interested and qualified candidates are then advised to READ the application guidelines (preservice/In-service) available on the website
- Candidates are advised to follow the steps given in the application guideline carefully to the end to ensure success in the application process.
- Take note that applications for the advertised courses are closed once they are full
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed only for students taking prerequisite courses of medical science as specified by various regulating bodies.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed only for students from institutions recognized by the specific regulatory body and with a letter from their learning institution.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is determined by the availability of student’s attachment slots, a maximum varying from department to department as shown in appendix 2.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed upon approval by the hospital training committee.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed upon payment of the prerequisite fee
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed only for students vaccinated against Hepatitis B and any other vaccinations deemed necessary by the hospital.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed upon signing of the rules and regulation form.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed upon signing of the security and confidentiality agreement form.
- Entry into JOOTRH student’s attachment program is allowed upon completing an online COVID 19 training and with a certificate of proof of completion.
List of attachment programs
- Medical laboratory sciences
- Medical social work
- Public health
- Human resource management
- Information technology
- Health records and information technology
- Dental and oral health
- Occupational therapy
- Medical engineering
- Nutrition and dietetics
- Critical care nursing
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDINGS [MOUs]
JOOTRH has entered into Partnerships with various Institutions of higher learning and has made students enter a dynamic world of team-based medical practice that has a health care education continuum as well as given opportunity for joint conduct of research and training. JOOTRH capitalizes on these partnerships in the development of joint innovations in health care and other pertinent sectors as well as future development programs. Through the various partnerships, we are convinced that the necessity of cooperation in the support, and maintenance of the services. Some of these institutions involve The University of Nairobi, Maseno, Uzima and the Kabarak universities, KMTC, and JOAN school of Nursing among others.
- TRAINING SCHOOL
JOOTRH runs an accredited training school approved and certified to offer Higher Diploma in Nephrology Nursing.
With the available infrastructure and existing staff expertise, training under pipeline includes;
- Kenya Registered Perioperative Nursing
- Kenya Registered Critical care Nursing.
- Kenya Registered Oncology Nursing.
2. COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF EAST, CENTRAL, AND SOUTHERN AFRICA (COSECSA) PROGRAM
JOOTRH is privileged to be among the approved accredited training centers in Kenya. The independent body fosters postgraduate education in surgery and provides surgical training throughout the region of East, Central, and Southern Africa. A certificate of competence in surgery at general Medical Grade. The membership examination is designed to assess an understanding of the basic principles of surgery and broad knowledge of surgery in general.
3. CONTINUOUS MEDICAL EDUCATION – CAPACITY BUILDING
4. STAFF TRAINING NEEDS